What is Self Storage?
Self storage is a flexible service which provides a secure space in which to keep items securely. The customer hires an appropriately sized container for the goods they wish to store. This is then housed in a storage facility for the period required. It’s a simple solution to the rising volume of items that UK households and businesses need a home for.
The self storage sector is one of the UK’s success stories. Over the past decade we’ve claimed almost 50% of the European storage market, with 1,500 sites across the country. Recent reports show that 44.6 million feet² of storage space is currently in use, and there’s no sign of any slow down in the growth of the industry.
Why Use Self Storage?
Analysis shows that self storage comes into play at key moments of change in our lives: marriage, a job abroad, divorce, retirement or moving to a new home. The urbanisation of the UK has also played a large part in the storage boom. Families moving to the city tend to move into homes that are too small for all their goods; storage becomes the ideal solution.
Here are our top 5 types of storage including business and families:
1. Second Marriage: This tends to involve two households merging and there are inevitably items that just won’t fit.
2. Office Move: Businesses use our storage facilities for furniture and archives during their new office fit out.
3. Hobbies: Many hobbies require large pieces or volumes of equipment (think kayaking or golf) and they outgrow domestic storage.
4. Retail Stock: Small retail units don’t allow for a build up of stock. So lots of retailers use self storage to store their seasonal stock.
5. Working Abroad: When families relocate for months or years, they often rent out their UK home. Self storage give them somewhere to stash their possessions.
Is Self Storage Secure?
It has to be, in order to attract and keep clients. Once your container is placed in a storage facility only you have access to it. Most storage facilities consider this to be a baseline. They will also provide 24 hour CCTV coverage, regular in-person inspections, security gates at the entrance to the site, and unique keycode access.
How is the Environment Controlled?
Storing a whole range of items from papers, to antique furniture, to clothes and electrical equipment, requires attention to the storage environment. Too hot and dry, and paper becomes brittle. Too cold, or moist and condensation starts to form. Climate controlled storage facilities use air conditioning and humidifiers to maintain the best conditions for the largest range of goods.
Schepens Local Self Storage
We make self storage as flexible and easy as possible for our local clients. We simply ask you to let us know what you want to store and when. Then we deliver an appropriately sized container to you. Our professional BAR trained removals team can help with packing and creating an inventory of goods if you require. The container is then sealed and securely transported to your local Schepens self storage facility.