Schepens Provides Local Climate-Controlled Storage
The rapidity with which the British have embraced self storage confirms once and for all that we’re a nation of hoarders! It also suggests that we know a good thing when we see it. Storage users are finding ever more creative ways to take advantage of the cost-effective space they provide. Storage is’nt just a way to manage our existing hoarding habots, it seems, it’s also an opportunity to hoard in new and innovative ways.
Flexible, Local Self Storage
Self storage is a rapidly growing service. As such, facilities need to adapt to clients’ requirements, rather than offering rigid frameworks to adhere to. At Schepens we always start by listening to our customers’ needs, and then determining how we can meet them. We offer a door-to-door service, providing appropriately sized containers when you need them, delivered to the location of your choice.
A Climate-Controlled Environment for Your Goods
The range of goods is growing nearly as fast as the number of goods stored. This means taking additional care to provide an environment that is adequate to the job in hand. Many storage facilities advertise a ‘temperature controlled’ or ‘climate-controlled’ environment, prompting our customers to ask what the difference is between the two.
- Temperature Controlled Environment. This means that the temperature of the storage facility is maintained at around 55ºF which is suitable for the majority of goods.
- Climate-Controlled Environment. Both temperature and humidity is controlled. Together they maintain the optimum conditions for the widest possible range of stored goods.
Why is Controlled Humidity Important When Storing Goods?
Humidity refers to the amount of moisture in the air. If the humidity is too high, there will be too much moisture in the air and this would cause cardboard, for example, to become soggy. Too low and items dry out, so paper becomes brittle and liquids evaporate. Ideally the humidity should maintain at around 55%.
At Schepens we work to keep the temperature at 55ºF and the humidity at a steady 55%. In order to achieve this, we use a dehumidifier and HVAC system. We take the responsibility of looking after our customers’ goods extremely seriously. As well as maintaining the correct settings, we also carry out regular in-person inspections.
Goods Requiring Special Environmental Conditions
- Wood. Antique furniture, or woodwind musical instruments require stable temperatures and a relatively low humidity (30-50º). We always recommend that wooden items are polished with oil before being stored, in order to avoid splitting.
- Vinyl. These should always be stored vertically. The danger with vinyl is warping, so the ideal temperature is 65-70ºF and the humidity should be 45-60%.
- Paper. We have an increasing number of clients wishing to store comic collections, books, or photographs. These are extremely fragile objects and need to be carefully cared for. Excessive light can fade the print, and high humidity can dry out the paper content, causing them to turn to dust.
Schepens Takes Care of Your Storage Items
Where clients have fragile, or environmentally sensitive goods, we’ll always offer guidance and seek expert advice if in doubt. Our environmental conditions are sufficient for the vast majority of the goods we store, but there are always exceptions that require specialist storage.
Once your goods are safely stored, you can access them 6 days a week using your individual access code. Our CCTV system maintains the security of the storage environment 24 hours a day, and regular inspections ensure the cleanliness of the space.
If you’re looking for local storage that will provide a climate-controlled environment for your goods, call Schepens Self Storage to find out more.